Thursday 23rd February 2012… the day before my 23rd birthday, and the day I went to see Robin Elias at ITN fo a look ‘behind the scenes!’.
The itinery went as follows…
- 12:45: meet and great
- 12:50: whistle stop tour of the offices and studios
- 13:00: watch the presenter’s rehersal before the live programme
- 13:15: sit down in the control room ready for tx
- 13:30: tx of the lunchtime news programme
- 13:50: de-brief after the news and meet some of the presenters
- 14:00: ‘executive lunch’ with Robin and Nick
- always ask questions and be curious
- jump at any opportunity to meet people that are already in the industry
- smiling and flattery can only ever help
- news presenters are simply not paid enough…. (when scripts get changed at the last minute, the pressure seems immense, and keeping your cool is vital)
- the use of the green screen in ITV news is phenomenal!!!